Willow Springs, NC 27592
Call Farmer Fred: 919.618.5601
Tuscan Grilled Bread And White Bean SaladIngredients:
- 4 3/4-inch-thick slices Italian bread (each about 3x5 inches)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, quartered
- 1 large tomato, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 1 1/2-inch-thick onion slices (preferable sweet onion, such as Vidalia)
- 6 tablespoons bottled olive oil vinaigrette
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Fresh basil sprigs
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Arrange bread and vegetables on baking sheet. Brush bread and vegetables lightly with 3 tablespoons vinaigrette. Grill pepper and onion 6 minutes, turning occasionally. Place bread and tomato slices on barbecue. Continue to grill until pepper and onion are slightly charred, bread is toasted and tomatoes are heated-through, turning occasionally, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer vegetables and bread to work surface; cut into bite-size pieces. Place cannellini, sliced basil and remaining 3 tablespoons vinaigrette in large bowl; toss to coat. Mix in grilled vegetable and bread. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper; garnish with basil sprigs, if desired.
2 Servings; can be doubled.